Sunday 10 July 2011

A huge sunhat


Well, another one of those “beginner” mistakes. Who does her muslin in Liberty fabric? I do. I used this pattern once before for a little boy’s hat. It’s Ottobre kids 3/2011, no 27. This time I traced the 56 cm size, added 1 cm seam allowance and then sewed at 0,7 cm to make it bigger. Turns out I made it a bit too big actually. At the brim I used the full 1 cm seam allowance.
Anyway, it’s been years (decades actually) since I owned a sunhat. My head is kind of big (I don’t know if 57 cm is that big, but store-bought hats are always too small). And I got sunburned on the head just last week-end, so…. It was time to do something about it, even if it’s not “the” hat and even if I’ll be able to only wear it on my terrace. At least it’s definitely big enough.
I wish I had done proper changes to my paper pattern, as opposed to “oh, just sew with a little less seam allowance here, and just add a little there…”. I could make a better hat right away.  Or maybe a bucket hat work better on me anyway? I don’t know…

No comments:

Post a Comment