Monday 6 June 2011

Sewing Desaster


Sewing disasters, do you have those? One never reads about them on the blogs, or did I just miss it?
Let me tell what just happened here. I thought I would make a quick last-minute birthday gift for a 7 year old girl. I traced an Ottobre T-shirt pattern, cut out the pieces, and applied myself to get the appliqué just right despite not having any double sided fusible stuff anymore. And then…  I rethreaded my serger and… it wouldn’t work, it makes knots and things. So I rethreaded it (about a million times), oiled it, cleaned it, changed the needles, tried out different threads, let it rest etc etc etc and…. It would not work.
The birthday is in 2 days, so…. I tell myself let’s use the elastic stitch on my sewing machine, I make a test on some scrap fabric, it looks ok, I start sewing the T-shirt and the machine eats it! This is what it looked like after this stage:


Then I went back to the serger thinking the 3-stitch overlock works (which it did just before) and… well… guess what, it didn’t and the mess is even bigger now. For now, I’ll slowly step backwards from my sewing machines and hope they’ll recover if I let them alone for a while.

Please tell me I am not the only one this is happening to.

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when something like this happens. Sometimes, it is as simple as needing a new or different size or type needle. I have found that tshirt knits sometimes require a sharper needle. The knit can be so tight that the needle won't go through the fabric.
    I just found your blog. Love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistakes usually happen when I'm in a hurry, too! Hopefully the shirt is salvageable.

    Your appliqued "7" looks good, though.

    ReplyDelete